A typical Braai in South Africa consists of Boerewors, Lamb or Pork Chops and/or Steak.
Traditionally the following dishes are served with a Braai:
- Pap and Tomato Relish
- Braai broodjie (Coal Roasted sandwich) and/or
- Potato Salad
“Pap” and a tomato relish.
Pap is the South African name for maize porridge, similar to polenta. Pap is served as “Stywe pap” (firm) or “krummel pap” (crumbs) , depending on your geographical area.
Mix 1 cup maize meal flour with 3 cups of boiling water and a teaspoon of salt. Cook over slow heat for approx. 20 mins.
- 10g Garlic Cloves – crushed
- 25g Fresh ginger – pulp
- 50g Red Onion – chopped
- 10g Fresh Chilli
- Fry all above together until fragrant
- Add in 1 cup Crushed Tomato and heat through
- Take two slices of bread of choice
- Add sliced tomato, sliced onion, sliced cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Close the sandwich and add to a braai grid
- Braai over medium coals, turning regularly until light brown